Hungry pigs, lack of trust and other challenges
Manual records are easily lost or tampered with. Historically corruption has been a big challenge and mistrust in how cooperatives manage money is still a big challenge today. Working with paper records when tracking, calculating yields and managing reimbursements is time consuming. A hungry pig even at the records of a coop once. 🐷
It is estimated that 1.3 million households in Mozambique own cashew trees, and that theese trees could give them a meaningful steady income. Most agricultural farmers are dispersed and consist of small hold farmers that also produce many other types of crops.
Old fashioned banking - a roadblock.
Many of these small hold farmers are productive entrepreneurs that could and would like to invest in expanding their crops. When they turn to banks to get a loan, their applications are denied because they lack history with the bank and thus they’re not deemed credit worthy.
hiveonline brings digital tools to the table
hiveonline provides a digital a digital plattform ( myCoop.online ) where farmers can enter production plans, projections and report actual yeilds. Farmers can organize and collect savings together and then one or more members can take out a loan from the collective savings. When a loan is given or paid back an SMS receipt is sent to the farmer.
Digital traceable transactions and receipts help build trust in the system and everyone has their own digital track record readily available on their phone.
- Farmers and cooperatives become creditworthy and can access insurance and loans which enables farmers to invest in and grow more crop and increase yields.
- Workers in NGOs such as Save the Children can effectively collect data in unstable areas without extensive travel to these areas.
- Expanded operations lead to bigger and better yields.
- Coops grow and can help more farmers.
- Happy communities and increased trust in humans. #faith-in-humanity +1
- Safer working conditions in war torn areas.
Working with 46elks has been great because the product is easy to use, the team has great energy and is very responsive to questions and feedback.
46elks gives us the opportunity to communicate with our customers via sms. This is important as not all of the users have access to reliable internet that other types of instant messaging require. The 46elks team is very responsive and friendly and answers our questions in a timely manner.
Hiveonline is a fintech startup with offices in Kigali, Rwanda, Stockholm and Copenhagen. Working together with farmers, cooperatives and nonprofit organizations like Save The Children, hiveonline is building better economies for financially excluded smallholders.
- hiveonline currently has live projects and roll outs in Mozambique, Zambia, Uganda and soon in Lebanon and Nigeria! We've also run pilots in Niger and Honduras.
- 70% of the hiveonline team were born in Mozambique, Sudan, Nigeria, Rwanda and Tanzania. The development team is fully based in Rwanda.
hiveonline - An upcoming startup rocket in fintech making a meaningful impact in the world. 🚀
Visit the hiveonline website →
Share your 46elks Story